Thursday 15 September 2011

Denise Roberts



My friend has just given me a wonderful ceramic bowl by the artist Denise Roberts which she bought from at the gallery Cry of the Gulls in Fowey. It is absolutely wonderful and i found these images on the website of Beside the Wave gallery in Cornwall.  Denise has worked with Antony Gormley in the past and is now Head of Ceramics at Swindon College.





Not only do I love the quirkiness of the handles and the obviously handmade feel of the bowl ... i think the painterly decoration is wonderful.  It really is like the vessel is her canvas.  On her website she states that she works with a mix of stains and glazes.  To me each piece is infused with Denise's visual vocabulary and I would be intrigued to know if she also paints onto canvas.  She also mentions that each vessel is suitable to be used with food ... so I am thinking this must be the start of a new collection!

2 comments:

  1. You are obviously better at searching than I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rang the gallery!! I love the bowl ... just deciding where to place it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...