Monday 24 January 2011

My Practice

I feel it is maybe time to share some of my own artwork with the world.  I have been reluctant up to this point as i am at a crossroads in my practice ... ie. trying to understand where i fit in.  I thought that maybe doing this little retrospective of the last year might throw some light on the matter.

ceramic, resin, found book, antique fittings
These set of photographs belong to a project that i did last summer.  At college we were let loose in the attics of a textile/fashion museum in Manchester called Platt Hall.  I discovered a beautiful collection of spectacles and cases and began to explore the whole notion of wearing spectacles and what it means to me.  I have been wearing spectacles for short sightedness since the age of seven ... but now as i hit middle age my eyesight has changed and i am struggling to read with my spectacles on.  The spectacle case became a metaphor for a bookcover, and trying to convey the message that the books have becomed trapped in the case and my spectacles no longer fit the purpose, working in ceramics, resin, old books, antique spectacles and cases, i created a collection to illustrate this juxtaposition and the confusion created by middle age.

paper, antique spectacles

Ceramics, found book, antique spectacles
Paper, found book, antique spectacles
antique spectacle case,old book, wax and thread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...